|Some interesting, but lesser known facts about Diabetes.
Did you know that…
- Insulin, was discovered by Dr. Frederick Banting and Dr. Charles Best in 1921 at the University of Toronto.
- In 1924, a 14 year old boy Leonard Thompson was the first human with diabetes to receive insulin.
- Eli Lilly was the first company to make insulin available commercially.
- Almost 1 in 17 people worldwide are diabetic. More than 1800 cases of diabetes are diagnosed everyday.
- India has the largest number of diabetics in the world; a total of 10 million.
- Vitamin D reduces the risk of diabetes.
- Research on insulin inhalers is going on which will make treatment of diabetes simple and pain-free.
Some famous personalities (both past and present) with diabetes:
Wasim Akram; Craig McMillan – Cricket
Arthur Ashe; Billy Jean King – Tennis
Elizabeth Taylor; Vanessa Williams
Syd Barrett; Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan; Tommy Lee (Motley Crew); Elvis Presley; Neil Young; B.B. King; Meatloaf
Mikhail Gorbachev; Winnie Mandela
Ernest Hemingway; Linda Goodman; Mario Puzo; H.G. Wells
Thomas Alva Edison